Locations / Date
Safety Management Systems for Aerodromes
An aerodrome operations specific 5-day programme designed for those responsible for developing, implementing and participating in a systematic approach to managing aviation safety, including the necessary organisational structures, accountabilities, policies and procedures.
This course aims to provide comprehensive training in SMS by developing and expanding delegates’ knowledge and understanding of safety management concepts in accordance with ICAO Doc. 9859 and designed in satisfaction of local regulations such as Reg. 139/2014 within the European Union. Delegates will acquire the knowledge to help implement key components of a basic SMS. The course is highly interactive and promotes SMS industry ‘best practice’.
The course recognises and responds to the dynamic airport environment where several key service providers may have to facilitate integration of individual SMS to ensure a safe operational environment. The importance of managing safety within the airside environment is the focal point of the course.
The programme includes:
- Course Introduction;
- Regulatory Requirements;
- Principles of SMS;
- The Result of No SMS;
- The Aerodrome Manual;
- Risk Assessment;
- Airside Health & Safety;
- Incident & Accident Investigation;
- SMS Operational Documentation;
- Training & Competency;
- Regulatory Oversight;
- Implementing An Effective SMS;
- Safety Cultures;
- Airside Safety Audits & Inspections;
- Problem Response;
- Human Factors;
- Knowledge Check;
- Group Exercises;
- Case Studies.
The course will assist the participants to develop abilities to:
- identify how SMS are being effectively applied in aerodromes
- Identify how aviation authorities are regulating aerodrome SMS
- Explain the needs for and benefits of SMS
- Outline the philosophy of safety management
- Get management’s and the workforce’s support and involvement
- Make a ‘business case’ and a ‘safety case’ of an aerodrome SMS
- Identify the key people in SMS implementation and their roles
- Apply a SMS gap analysis process in aerodromes (compare what we have with what we should have)
- Apply principles and techniques of hazard identification and risk management in aerodrome environment
- Develop and run safety committees and action groups
- Consider other services (ATC, Airlines, ER etc) in aerodrome SMS
- Take into account human and organizational factors in SMS implementation
- Promote a positive aviation safety culture
- Apply safety performance measurement practices
- Develop aviation training and awareness strategies
- Apply SMS auditing processes
- Identify the sources of the best practices on SMS in aerodromes
The training has an interactive nature, using videos, exercises, cases and group discussions.
Who should take this course
This course will be of great benefit to airport staff responsible for developing, implementing and participating in a systematic approach to managing aviation safety in an aerodrome environment.
Aerodrome Senior Management, Quality, Operations and Safety Managers, and others tasked with managing safety or who need to possess knowledge and understanding of airside safety and operations.
A background in an airport environment, preferably safety and/or operations. No previous experience of SMS is necessary.
5 days, starting at 9:00 on the first day and ending at approximately 17:00 on the last day.