Locations / Date
ICAO & EASA Safety Management System Requirements - Introduction
Developing and implementing an effective Safety Management Systems is one of the challenges in modern aviation organisations. This course provides the delegate with the opportunity to meet such challenges head on by providing them with the tools, knowledge and methodology to successfully implement a SMS in their organisation in response to ICAO Annex 19, ICAO Doc 9859 and EASA Management System requirements defined in European Aviation law. This course provides a comprehensive introduction to the SMS concept for delegates from Air Operations, Training Organisations, Maintenance and Continuing Airworthiness Organisations, in addition to those from Aerodromes, Air Navigation Service Providers and ATC Services. The course will cover State Safety Programmes, Service Providers’ Safety Management Systems, Hazard Identification and Risk Management principles, Safety Assurance, Safety Performance Indicators and Safety Promotion. The course will use case based studies throughout, to apply a practical aspect to the theory learned.
The topics covered include:
- ICAO SMS SARPS, ANNEX 19 and EASA Management Systems: Regulatory framework
- State Safety Programmes (SSP and Safety Management Systems (SMS)
- Components of a Safety Management System
- Accident causation and root cause analysis. Worldwide Aviation Safety performance
- Operational Errors and Violations: Assessing individual errors.
- Active and latent failures to include: Organizational influences, system influences, and operator influences: Assessing organisational failures. The direct and indirect organisational cost.
- The safety process.
- Hazard Identification and Analysis – Practical case studies on Bow-Tie analysis
- Hazard Logs / Risk Registers
- Risk management and Risk Assessment - Business practices
- Effective Barriers – Controls and Risk Mitigation processes
- Management of Change (MOC) – Case studies
- Emergency Response Planning (ERP): A practical approach
- Safety Performance Targets (SPT), Alert Levels and Safety Performance Indicators (SPIs): The performance-based SMS
- Training and Communication – Initial, Recurrent, On the job training (OJT)
- EASA Management System requirements (PART ARO/ORO)
- Developing and managing an effective safety culture – Measurement of Safety Culture level
- Implementation: What applies to ICAO members, what applies to EASA/ECAC members
- SMS Implementation: What applies to EASA/ECAC complex organisations and what applies to EASA/ECAC non-complex organisations.
- Agreed Safety Performance and Acceptable Level of Safety (ALoS) Performance.
- Measuring the ALoS performance: The Effective SMS.
- Safety Management Systems Implementation: a practical guide, based on ICAO SMS Manual 3rd Edition, 2013
- SMS Evaluation tools / Audit your SMS effectiveness
Upon completion of this course attendees will be able to:
- Identify the required content for a compliant ICAO SMS and/or EASA Management System
- Have the knowledge and materials to begin the development and implementation an ICAO compliant Safety Management System (SMS) and/or EASA Management System (SM) as an organized approach to managing safety. This includes the organizational structure, accountability, policies, and procedures.
- Assume the responsibility of coordinating and supervising the safety efforts of your organization related to the applicable position.
- Use the resources provided to start the development, implementation, and management of an effective Safety Management System
- Understand the process, principles and business practices for the SMS/SM implementation
- Demonstrate cognitive skills by undertaking a problem analysis and exercise reasonable judgement in assessing SMS technical requirements
- Operate practical skills by selecting and using appropriate methods for developing an SMS/SM
- Demonstrate professional and transferable skills by working to deadlines both individually with initiative and enterprise, and within teams showing evidence of SMS/SM implementation skills.
- Be an effective resource to the management team in the safety system.
This course is a comprehensive, interactive, application-based program specifically designed to help organizations develop an effective ICAO SMS/EASA SM.
Who should take this course
- Accountable managers for Operations, Training Organisations, MRO/CAMO, Aerodromes, ANSP, ATC Services.
- Civil Aviation Authority inspectors
- Competent Authority Personnel
- Airline Auditors
- Defence Audit personal
- Compliance Monitoring staff
- Safety Management Staff
- Flight Operations Staff
- Military Safety Personnel
Linked Courses: Human Factors/CRM in Aviation
An interest in achieving increased knowledge in the understanding and implementation of ICAO SMS/EASA SM in the different working environments.
Please note: Participants are kindly requested to bring a laptop to the course to access course material which will be provided on a USB stick.
3 days starting at 09:00 on all three days, finishing at 16:45 on the first two days and at 16:00 on the last day.